The Solinst Sonic Water Level Meter is a simple-to-use, handheld, portable unit. It consists of a Control Unit and connected Probe, and is supplied with a plastic cover for larger wells and a Solinst Field Bag. The Sonic Water Level Meter Probe transmits a sound wave into the well or pipe and measures the time for the pulse to return after contacting the water. Readings are shown on the clear LCD display on the Control Unit. The Sonic Water Level Meter allows the programming of parameters like well diameter, offsets, temperature, etc. Maximum and minimum detection ranges can also be set to ignore any interference from known well features or obstructions, and to narrow down the measurement range for obtaining the most accurate water level readings possible.
Where does the Sonic Water Level Meter work and how is it installed?
The Sonic Water Level Meter is designed to sit in the vent opening of a standard well cap, or the opening of a Solinst 2" Locking Well Cap. A reading is obtained within seconds of turning the Sonic Water Level Meter on. Larger diameter wells (over 8") or wells with large openings can limit sound wave detection, but with adjustments, accurate water level readings can be obtained. In the case of large diameter wells or boreholes, use a drop tube to the water. For wells with larger openings, the Solinst supplied plastic disc can be used to create a seal to contain the sound waves.
What applications are ideal for the Sonic Water Level Meter?
- The Sonic Water Level Meter is ideal for depth to static water level detection in any well, piezometer, sounding tube, or closed pipe
- Use the Sonic Water Level Meter in wells and boreholes that are difficult to access due to crooked pipes, narrow tubes, instrumentation, or other obstructions
- Sonic Water Level Meters are helpful when the annulus space between well casing and a pump is too small for other Water Level Meters
- Use in contaminated or corrosive environments where you do not want to lower equipment down well are ideal use cases for Sonic Water Level Meters
- Landfills, waste management sites, toxic or hazardous waste disposal sites, wastewater operations, mine tailings sites, mineral or oil and gas extraction projects, nuclear power sites, remediation projects, Brownfield sites, contaminated spill sites, leaking underground storage tanks, manufacturing or industrial waste dumps, over-fertilized agricultural areas, and fields with excessive pesticides.
- Sonic Water Level Meters are great when you don't have the time to decontaminate measurement equipment or your well
- If you want to obtain very quick depth to water level measurement to determine the placement of other instrumentation, the Solinst Sonic Water Level Meter is perfect.
The Solinst Sonic Water Level Meter is a portable, acoustic ranging instrument designed to simply and quickly measure depth to static water level in a well, piezometer, sounding tube, or any closed pipe.
The Sonic Water Level Meter reports static water level measurements without having to put any instruments down the well, eliminating any introduction of chemicals and the need to decontaminate equipment or wells.
The Solinst Sonic Water Level Meter works in straight or crooked pipes, and is ideal for wells with difficult access. Depth measurements to 600 m (2000 ft) are possible.
Sonic Water Level Meter Operation
The Solinst Sonic Water Level Meter consists of a Control Unit and connected Probe.
The Control Unit has a clear LCD display, keypad, and comes with 6 AA replaceable batteries. The Control Unit keypad has buttons to turn the Probe on and off, read the depth to water, and controls to scroll through and set other parameters.
The Probe connects to the Control Unit with a 1.8 m (6 ft) cable. The Sonic Water Level Meter Probe is designed to sit in the vent opening of a standard well cap, or the opening in a Solinst 2" Locking Well Cap.
For measurement in larger diameter openings, each Sonic Water Level Meter includes a plastic disc to cover the well opening. This ensures a strong signal and accurate water level reading.
The Sonic Water Level Meter works by the Probe transmitting a sound wave into the pipe or well and measuring the time it takes for the pulse to return after making contact with water. The distance is calculated using the speed of sound and time. Since the speed of sound varies with temperature, a temperature sensor is located in the Probe to adjust for variations.
To account for different well diameters, offsets, well obstructions or features, the Control Unit allows you to input measurement parameters to get the most accurate water level reading possible.
Sonic Water Level Meter Features
Sonic Water Level Meter Advantages
Sonic Water Level Meter Specifications
|Control Unit dimensions:||19 x 9 x 4 cm (3.5 x 7.5 x 1.5")|
|Control Unit weight:||390 g (14 oz)|
|Probe dimensions:||16 x 8 x 7 cm (6 x 3 x 3")|
|Probe diameter:||1.7 cm (5/8")|
|Cable length:||1.8 m (6 ft)|
|Operating temperature:||-20 to 45ºC (-10 to 110ºF)|
|Power:||6 AA replaceable alkaline batteries|
|Battery life:||Up to 500 hours of use Up to 21 days in power save mode|
|Units of measurement:||Metric or English options|
|Accuracy:||3 cm (0.1 ft)|
|Resolution:||1 cm (0.05 ft)|
|Water level reading update time:||~ 1 sec @ 150 m (500 ft) ~ 4 sec @ 600 m (2000 ft)|
|Operating range:||3 to 600 m (9 to 2000 ft)|